Facebook Name Policy

A little over ten years ago, a social media network  was born. Finally a website where you can connect to friends and family. The network? Facebook. When I first heard of Facebook, my thought was it's a secular website and none of my friends would be there, but when I joined a chatroom, I met a woman who is the moderator of the chatroom and she  chatted about things unfamiliar to me. She intrigued me. What is Farmville or Farm Town? I had to find out so I joined as Ruthie Derby. Immediately I connected with my friends from Fresno Pacific University. Not only that I got invites for  use some applications and I was hooked! And the longer I was on Facebook, the more applications consumed my time.

In 2011, my  life had changed. I became an author and slowly my interest in time consuming application decreased as I try to focus my time on writing. Facebook allows you to change your name up to five times and I had used it up. I went from Ruthie Derby to RuthielovesjesusDerby to RuthieLovesJesusMadison. Why Madison because I  wanted to be known by my author name. And "LovesJesus" was used when I saw another user had a descriptive middle name and I wanted to declare my love for Jesus. I wished I didn't used it up because I wanted to change it one  last time to Ruthie Madison, Author  or the other way around.

Facebook has a policy that  according to one user, has been around a couple of years and it has affected people who either wants to protect their identity or keep their titles. I thought for sure it was only against those who use "Christian words" in their names (Like I have), but I have  been told it affects  people who don't have last names like "Lily" or "Sunshine."  Just recently a facebook friend  has been forced to update his name. When I saw it happened to him, I didn't think it would to me. After all, I have a last name on Facebook! However, they remember that I started out as Ruthie Derby and now the police had caught me.

I am reminded of the time when I had jaywalked with other high school students. There was some kind of crosswalk but it wasn't really. It  just looked like one. Of all the people that walked across that path, they caught me! Yet others had used it too! Here it is years later and even though I had to update my name, I still see others still using a non real name. I take comfort in this :that I know I'm not alone. It's just a matter of time until the Facebook police catches them.

Here is an article about the names that are allowed on Facebook: Facebook Name Policy

One other note, if you are using a  title in your  name. You might want to change it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are You Available?

The Book of Galatians

Halloween and Harvest Fellowship